Erin's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Elyssa's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Making Ah Mah's Birthday Cake

Elyssa couldn't wait to get started when I asked her whether she wanted to help me bake Ah Mah's birthday cake.  

Helping to Dry Cake Tins with Paper Towels
 
 
Whisking Egg Yolk with Sugar
Isn't the mini apron super cute?? RM4.90 from the 100 yen shop :-)

 
Sifting Flour into Egg Yolk Mixture
 
 
Whisking Flour into Egg Yolk Mixture
 
That was the end of the "disturbing",  oops, I meant "helping" part.  :)
 
I continued the rest of the cake making process myself after that.  
 
Ta Daaa....... The Final Cake  
Best looking cake from my kitchen so far. Yay!!! 
 
 The icing turned out pretty expensive though, as I destroyed not one but TWO boxes of whipping cream. (about RM7.00 each). I watched in dismay when I didn't get the fluffy whipped cream texture I was expecting, but a curdled mess from the first packet. Googled and one of the advice given was the start whisking at low speed first.  Didn't work either. Second packet produced the same curdled mess.  :(
 
I had to wait for the shops to open to buy a third packet. This time, I placed the entire whisking bowl and whisk into the freezer and used Anchor brand. (the same I used for Erin's cake last time). Phew, I did a little dance of joy when it worked!  So happy that I didn't have to resort to Plan B, which was to buy a cake from Secret Recipe to bring to my mum's birthday lunch.
 
The birthday lunch was at Dynasty Dragon. Pretty good!  We gave tick marks it terms of food quality, service, price, environment, restaurant location and ease of parking.
 
Pinched this photo from my sis's blog -

 
At the Birthday lunch
Mama & Papa with Grandkids # 1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and #6. 
Ke ke.....none of the grandkids smiling for the camera.
#6 wants to sleep. #5 wants to get down. #4 looking a bit blur. #3 and #2 not looking at camera. #1 looking at camera but not smiling.
With six small kids, we've give up hope of the perfect shot. he he.
 
 
Inside View of Cake
3 layers of Sponge Cake sandwiched with 2 layers of Longan & Strawberry Jelly  
 
Looks messy here cos I didn't hold the cake properly during the car journey to the restaurant. When I peeped into the cake box halfway there, I was sad to see the cake plastered to the side of the cake box! *sob*
 
 
 Close up view 
I normally prefer rich butter cakes, but this combination of light sponge with jelly was just nice for a cake to be eaten after a full meal.
 
 
 Happy Birthday Mama!!

12 comments:

Small Kucing said...

ala mak.....but still can eat la. Should taste very good. happy Belated birthday to your mom

Unknown said...

Cakes looks lovely, so much effort, so much looooovvvee!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your Mama. Such a beautiful cake made with lots of love by you and the cute baker :)

MeRy said...

The birthday cake looks good and Happy belated birthday to your mom.

Stacy said...

I was beginning to think Elyssa made the cake by herself! Wearing magic mini apron. :)

Cynful Pleasure said...

nice cake... I always use Anchor whipping cream as I find that's the best to do with whipping.. alternatively, I use those non-dairy type (when I super malas) as that don't curl easily.

Unknown said...

well well well, pretty impressive work from you. Sonia's blog is definitely a great blog spot...learn new baking ideas and tips too. Happy Belated birthday to your mum.

Health Freak Mommy said...

OMG, the cake looks like those boutique cake shop bought ones!! You can consider starting a bakery / homebased bakery!

Alice said...

look delicious....nyumnyum

ChloeRuoyi said...

Aah, I totally understand how you felt about the curdled whipped cream. My first attempt turned out like that too... it didn't look good and it didn't taste good but we still ate it anyway @_@ (it was just a trial batch of cupcakes that I made for home consumption)

ChloeRuoyi said...

Oh btw, your cake is gorgeous. The inside is so evenly layered and looks so delicious! :)

Oliveoylz said...

What amazing baking skills you have! You are definitely an inspiration to me...Awesome layers of jelly sandwiched within the cake! It must have tasted heavenly:) Can just imagine Ah Ma's look of blissful satisfaction sinking her teeth into the cake!